Monday, January 1, 2007

iPod Wedding

I had heard of people using iPods as their DJ for their wedding reception but I had never seen it in practice until the wedding Mr Corn and I attended in Seattle last weekend. (pictures courtesy of Google Images)



When we arrived at the reception, I noticed right away that there wasn't a DJ or a band, but it didn't dawn on me that it was an iPod until after dinner was halfway over. Since the music during dinner is traditionally low key, I assumed that it was being piped through the sound system at the venue.

Once the party got into gear, however, it was pretty evident that the biggest downfall from an iPod DJ is that the songs all play all the way until the very last second, which sometimes leads to some awkward timing on the dance floor. But I would say, considering how much money the couple saved by doing this, I really think the benefits outweighed the cons.

However, there is one caveat to that statement. This couple was pretty young, lower to mid 20's, and their friends were all young. The iPod fit in perfectly with the young crowd's vibe and none of them seemed to give the awkward silences between selections much thought. I would think that if an older couple tried this, or if the wedding was considerably more formal, than it wouldn't be so easy to get away with. Which basically means that like so many things with wedding planning, it really should be decided on a case by case basis.

What are your thoughts on the iPod wedding reception trend?

No comments: