Tuesday, September 9, 2008

So, how exactly WAS that anniversary cake?

I know this is the information you have been waiting on bated breath for, so I won't make you wait any further.

Last year, we indulged in the most incredible chocolate bourbon wedding cake with white butter-cream frosting from Sin Desserts in Providence, RI. It was hands down, the best wedding cake on the planet. Believe me, I know there is a lot of potential that I am biased because it was at our wedding...but we received more comments on how good the cake was than I can count.


It was so good, that when it came time to freeze the top for next year, I just couldn't bear to freeze the whole thing, so I cut it into pieces, saved two for our anniversary and then brought the rest along on our honeymoon to snack on.

I don't remember where I eventually got the instructions to save the cake top, but here is the process I used and the end result:

1) I was told to store the cake in a non-self-defrosting freezer. Not sure the reason for that, but the only non-self-defrosting freezer we had was the itty, bitty freezer in the upper right corner of the mini-fridge that Mr Corn brought over from his apartment when we bought the house. It now resides in our basement and is an excellent place for storing beer, vitamin waters, and the ridiculous trophy his brother won one year for winning his FANTASY hockey league:






2) First I refrigerated the cake for at least an hour (to get the icing to set) and then wrapped each slice in cellophane at least 8 times (I just kept rolling the cellophane around it). Then I wrapped them in TWO layers of aluminum foil and finally, I put each slice in a zip-lock bag and stored them in the freezer.

3)This year, I took the pieces out of the freezer the day before our anniversary and put them in our fridge to defrost. Then, about two hours before we ate them, I took them out of the fridge to let the icing get soft. Below are pics of the process of unwrapping the pieces after taking them out of the fridge:






Upon close-up inspection, I was really very surprised at how good the cake looked and I had relatively high expectation for the taste:


Mr Corn, who doesn't like chocolate cake anyway, had some trepidation:




In the end, we both only made it a few bites into the cake. The icing was perfect, which surprised me...I would have thought that with all that butter, it would have been the first to go. The problem was that even though the first taste of the cake was surprisingly good, the aftertaste was very I've-been-in-a-freezer-for-a-year. But, considering we were able to eat any of it and weren't grossed out at the get-go, I actually consider this a success. However, I 100%, without question, recommend only saving a little of it and indulging in the rest of the cake top when it is at it's freshest!

No comments: