Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Looking Back, continued...

Sorry to have gone missing for a bit there. I suffered from a complete hard drive failure and had to have a new one sent and have all of my files extracted by the fantastically smart, technology geeks I have as friends...which brings me to my #1 detail about wedding planning that I recommend (aside from relaxing and remembering what the real purpose of the whole thing is): BACK. UP. EVERYTHING!!!

Moving on...

-----
This installment of my 'Looking Back' series* focuses on one of the details about our big day that I wish we had done a little differently: I should have gone with my gut and not tossed the flowers.



I know there are lots of good arguments for both sides of this issue but for me, it came down to tradition: every wedding I have ever been to had a flower toss.

NOT every wedding I have ever been has had a garter search-and-toss, so I nixed that idea early-on in the planning.

However, regardless of my gut feeling about the thing, I was bound and determined to have my wedding day have as many wedding-y moments as I could cram into it, so I went ahead with it anyway.

Truth be told, it really broke up the whole feeling of the reception. It was awkward, poorly attended (as I really only know a few single gals so none of them wanted to be singled out), and I ended up throwing the bouquet over everyone's head thus making it an actual waste of time and perfectly good flowers.

Again, I understand this is a personal thing, but for me, I would have much preferred if I had loosened up my requirements on 'what-makes-a-wedding-a-wedding' and gone with the flow. If you are even thinking of leaving it out, I suggest going with your gut.

What about you guys? Any flower tossers out there?


-----
*Previously in this series...

I'm so glad I did this:
renting a full length mirror
setting my DIY deadline for a week out from the wedding
making arrangements for my disabled father so he could participate
having an 'open-door policy' at the site where I got ready
going a little overboard with the theme


I wish I could fix this:
being too proud to start a few minutes late
not testing all of the directions before sending them out
forgetting to pause before rushing down the aisle
handling the cake cutting logistics

No comments: