Thursday, October 18, 2007

The rehearsal

Outside ceremony brides...PAY ATTENTION:

Make sure before your ceremony that you visit your wedding site at the same time of day as your wedding at least a week if not two weeks in advance!!

Our rehearsal was at 3:00pm on the Friday before the wedding because there was another event going on at the fort that needed to set up by 4:15pm. When we arrived and went to our ceremony location, the wind was UN REAL! The site coordinator had told us that the winds pick up around 1:00pm and die around 5:00pm, the time of our ceremony, so I was expecting a pretty stiff breeze, but NOTHING like this:


Unfortunately, I had prepared backup for every possible weather scenario...except for gale-force wind. I was pretty stressed through the entire rehearsal because the gusts were so loud, you couldn't even hear, and all I could think about was how awful the wedding ceremony was going to be the next day if it was as windy as it was during the rehearsal.

I felt awful because the people there at the rehearsal were all aware of my foul mood and all I could focus on was was how hard I had planned to have the perfect wedding, and how it was all going to be ruined by the wind. It sounds so stupid now that I write that down 6 weeks after the fact, but in the interest of honesty, I will admit, I was a very high-strung rehearsal bride.

Fortunately, just before getting into the van to go to the first of our two rehearsal dinners, my sister (also our minister) took me aside and urged me to 'let it go'. I started crying and explained to her that I just didn't want people to be upset with me or angry or hate the wedding because it was so out-of-control windy. Mr Corn's brother and sister-in-law were standing nearby and they overheard me and assured me that my concern was the silliest thing they had ever heard of. Along with my sister, they reiterated that we were not only feeding people lobster, but giving them a clambake, an open bar and free entertainment and that if anyone didn't like that, than they were idiots.

That talk calmed me down 80% but I was still a bit frazzled when we finally got to our first rehearsal dinner destination. Fortunately (albeit, a bit sadly), all it took was one drink at dinner and from that point on I was filled with more joy and contentment than I ever imagined possible.

In fact, I was so blissful that even though moments like this happened during most of the ceremony... ...I loved every moment of it!!

No comments: