Sunday, May 18, 2008

Looking Back, continued...

This installment of my 'Looking Back' series* focuses on one of the details about my big day that I wish I had done differently:

I wish I had had someone test out our directions to the venue prior to sending out our map.


I checked, double checked and triple checked the directions on our map and was completely satisfied with them when I put them in the invitations to our guests. Sadly, although the directions themselves were (pardon-me-while-I-pat-myself-on-the-back) perfect, the instructions on where to park were not included.

Whoops.

This wouldn't have been such an issue if the peninsula where Fort Adams is wasn't also the home to the Eisenhower House, another wedding venue.

So, as it was, some of my guests ended up at someone else's wedding. Thankfully, they realized their mistake once they figured out that the bride coming down the aisle wasn't me, and they were able to get to our ceremony in time to at least see most of the wedding (hence the previous posting about my wishing I had waited just a few minutes for all of my guests to arrive instead of rushing down the aisle as the clock struck 5:00pm).


It also wouldn't have been such an issue if the normal-every-day parking area for the fort wasn't a 7 minute walk from where our ceremony was.

Nor would this have been such an issue if I had gone with my gut instinct and made a slew of "Zucker-Bradford Wedding" signs.

But most importantly, none of this would have been an issue, if I had just had someone try out the directions. Because no matter how 'perfect' your instructions are...your directions are only as strong as your weakest, uh, direction.
-----

*Previously in this series...

I'm so glad I did this:
renting a full length mirror
setting my DIY deadline for a week out from the wedding


I wish I could fix this:
being too proud to start a few minutes late

No comments: