Thursday, May 15, 2008

Looking back, continued...

This installment of my 'Looking Back' series * focuses on one of the details about my big day that I wish I had done differently:

Basically, every single wedding I have ever attended, has started late. Apparently this is not uncommon, as every time I mentioned to anyone-who-would-listen that our wedding would NOT start late, people just started hysterically laughing at me.

So, I made sure that throughout the planning process, my amazing DOC (Colleen with Classic Weddings) knew that if there was one thing that I wanted to happen, I wanted to start walking down the aisle at 5:00pm sharp. There was no way I was going to be the-girl-who-stood-on-a-soapbox-about-weddings-starting-late, who then started her own wedding late.

And just as I requested, on the actual day of our wedding the string trio started playing and we started processing at 5:00pm on. the. dot.

Unfortunately, not all of our guests had arrived at that point, so a handful of people ended up getting there about five minutes into the ceremony. You can see some of them standing in the picture below.


When I found out that some of our friends had missed the beginning of our ceremony, I was crushed. And it all could have been avoided if I had just swallowed my pride, and waited until everyone had arrived.

So, I encourage each of you to put aside any quest you might have to be the-bride-who-will-start-on-time and be a bit more laid back about your start time. I'm not talking hours here, or even anything more than 10 minutes. But at least give all of your guests a fighting chance of getting to see the whole ceremony; because in the end, that's what really matters.
-----

*Previously in this series...

I'm so glad I did this:
renting a full length mirror

No comments: