Monday, July 9, 2007

Reality Check

Still won't let me put a title on...let's call this one 'Reality Check'

I promised myself at the start of the wedding planning process, that I would not let myself get too caught up in the madness that is wedding planning. I wanted to make sure I kept myself aware of what really mattered, and I think I have done a pretty good job of that.

But over the week, a terrible tragedy has occurred in my family, one that deeply affects all of us and will cast a dark cloud over what is supposed to be a joyous time for my family. I am finding this to be a stark and sad reality check as I am reminded to be aware of what really counts and what really matters.

I don't know each of you individually, so I can't say whether you all have one foot in the door of reality, but I think it is important for all of us to take a deep breath in the middle of all of our planning and remember just exactly what marriage is and what we are getting ourselves into. Once the band has hit its last note and the decorations have been packed up, the wedding will be over, but the marriage will have just begun. It is important to be aware of this so that we don't lose sight of what really matters.

And now back to our regularly scheduled planning...

No comments: