Monday, August 20, 2007

My Bachelorette Par-tay!

Sorry for the length of this, but I couldn't bear to leave anything out...oh...and I wrote this on Saturday morning on the plane to Orlando, but am only posting it now because I just got to an internet connection :)

---------------------------------

I am on my way to Orlando for the week and I would like to personally thank Jet Blue for not only allowing me the pleasure of seeing the ancient video of Tiffany’s “I Think We’re Alone Now” (anyone know why she points out the B-A-G of the Baggage sign in an airport in that video please feel free to let the rest of us in on the secret) via VH1 Classics this morning, but for giving me access to Engaged and Underage, where a teenage lesbian couple fought their way to the altar much to the chagrin of their parents. Isn’t satellite TV grand?

My second bachelorette party was last night (the first was the JT concert last Friday with my bridesmaid, Lauren) and it was really, really fun. I am greatly suffering the consequences this morning considering how uneasy I feel in my leather seat as we jostle about a mile above the eastern seaboard enroute to Mickey’s Corporate Office aka Orlando where I will be for the next week for work.

The night started out with a yummy cookie and tea ceremony to celebrate my friend Meg’s birthday which is coming up on Sunday. Then we (my friends Sarah, Meg and I) progressed to Kitty O’shea’s, an Irish pub near were we work, for Blue Moons with lemon wedges, buffalo chicken tenders with blue cheese and ‘Nacho average Nacho’s’. Another friend, Suzi, showed up shortly thereafter with my first wardrobe change of the evening, a sweet baby-blue T-shirt with the word B-R-I-D-E emblazoned on it with glitter paint. (I have since been warned I probably shouldn’t wash the shirt, as the glitter paint is actually washable glitter glue).

Our next stop was Silvertone’s, a fun, garden-floor restaurant near Downtown Crossing with a retro-hip vibe and the best Macaroni and Cheese this side of the Milky Way. Seriously people, it’s made with three different cheeses and served in its own individual crock so you get all the crunchy bits along the edges and then topped with salty bread crumbs. All four of us ordered up the Mac and Cheese causing the table of skinny girls sitting next to us to cautiously ask the waiter ‘Is the mac & cheese THAT good that their whole table ordered it?’ To which he responded, ‘yes’ causing the skinny girls to order one plate and some fish to nibble on.

The wait staff at Silvertone’s has never really been known for being friendly or particularly helpful, so I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised that when I asked our waiter if he was were to choose between the Raspberry Vodka Cosmo or the other Raspberry Vodka drink he bluntly replied, ‘neither, I drink Bourbon.’ Uh, thanks buddy. Sadly, I went against my gut feeling and got a Moody something-or-other that was extraordinarily strong and gross. But since it was my bachelorette party, I thought it was important to drink it all up, a task that was much easier once I poured 1/3 of my glass of water into the drink. It was at this stop that Suzi pulled out the second wardrobe change of the evening that required me to put on a tiara and plastic bejeweled earrings.

None of us could finish our mac and cheese, having stuffed ourselves with cookies and appetizers earlier in the evening, so we got to-go boxes and headed out. We walked off some of our meal on our way to our third and final destination: the Four Seasons dessert buffet, by strolling through the Public Garden (where I received my third wardrobe addition, a molting, white feather boa) and then stopping and window shopping at Perla. We were just commenting on how ridiculously expensive everything was when a seemingly normal business man came up to us and told us a story of how he was going to get underwear for his girlfriend and when they wanted to charge him $625, he asked them politely to hold them for him to come back, which he never did. A weird encounter, for sure, but a nice diversion on the way to the desserts.

Now, the last time I went to the dessert buffet at the Four Seasons I had just started a very intense weight loss program that was through a study with a hospital, so I had to resign myself to a small cup of sorbet. THIS time I was prepared to eat everything in sight. First thing is first. The bread pudding is TO. DIE. FOR. I don’t even normally LIKE bread pudding, but this stuff must be what they feed you on your first day in heaven. It is light and chocolaty and served with a warm cream sauce and makes you want to live at the Four Seasons and have a puppy.

Other fun delights: chocolate covered strawberries (of course), a crepe bar, cheese cake bites, fruit tarts, ice cream with toppings, chocolaty brownie things, mini-mini-cupcakes with what looked like a scoop of sorbet as big as the cupcake on top of them that turned out to just be frosting, and many lovely, lovely dessert drinks.

Shortly after arriving at the Four Seasons, we were joined by a few other friends; Meredith and Christina as well as her cousin who was visiting. Sadly, my Silvertone’s drink experience was starting to affect me and I only got through two plates of dessert and a quarter of my coffee with Bailey’s. The girls ordered a bottle of sparkling wine and I was only able to have a sip of my glass out of fear for my health, but thankfully, I held it together.

All in all, despite my collegiate, inexperienced drinking faux-pas, I had an amazing time. I am so grateful to my friends for hosting this event. It is an experience that I wasn’t too sure I was ever going to get, so I am incredibly thankful. More, I am thankful that I have such great friends who know me well enough to know my inner ham enough to realize that all I needed was a feather boa and some plastic jewels to make me feel like a bride.


No comments: