Sunday, August 5, 2007

We’re Dancin’!!

Mr Corn and I had our first dance lesson over the weekend. I am proud to say we aren't all that bad. I will say, I am SHOCKED that Mr Corn doesn't even grasp the concept of a down beat (I really had no idea that that was a concept for the musically inclined only) so I found myself having to try NOT to correct his lead. But other than that, we did pretty well.




Coming back to Mr Corn from an outside turn...pretty good shot of my wedding shoes, too.


BTW...we're not giants...I mean, we are tall, but the dance instructor has a studio in her basement with a raised dance floor so that's why it looks like we fill the room up.

At our request, our instructor is teaching us the basics...nothing too choreographed. We don't want to look like we are trying too hard any more than we don't want to look like two lost eighth-graders at a Jr High dance. As Mr Corn explained it to the teacher: 'this could very well be the only three to three-and-a-half minutes we get to ourselves the entire day, so we want to keep it intimate while at least looking like we know what we are doing'. The dance instructor practically swooned at that last bit, and then she taught us to sway, do an outside turn, an inside turn, travel across the floor and how to begin the dance. Next class we will clean it up a bit and learn a dip for the end.

The cool thing is we can use these steps from now on. She had us practice with our song and with some other ones so we could see how you can apply the steps to pretty much everything with a 4/4 beat. That makes me feel better since we have a band and up until our lesson, I had no idea how to figure out to dance to our song played by someone other than the iPod. :)

Are any of you taking lessons? How is it going so far?

No comments: